Contact Information Contact Information ComDev Website Comments ComDev Website Comments Ayuda en Espanol Ayuda en Espanol The City of Miramar Florida


About The Planning Division
Planning & Zoning
Planning & Zoning
Planning & Zoning
Planning & Zoning

The mission of the Planning & Zoning Division is to ensure a well planned, attractive community, responsive to the needs of all stakeholders and the environment.

The Planning & Zoning Division provides the following services:

  • Guides citizens, developers and builders in the processing of development approvals, including site plans, plats, rezonings, conditional uses, and variances
  • Reviews site plans, plats, rezoning, and other land development applications to determine compliance with the City's Land Development Code regulations and Comprehensive Plan
  • Ensures proposed development uses are consistent and compatible with surrounding zoning districts and uses
  • Maintains site data records
  • Tracks and monitors development within the City
  • Maintains and updates the City's Comprehensive Plan and Land Development Code
  • Provides technical assistance to the City Commission and the Planning and Zoning Advisory Board
  • Presides over Development Review Committee (DRC) and Community Appearance Board (CAB)
  • Reviews all non-single-family structures and signs for adherence to Community Appearance Board (CAB) regulations
  • All painting and repainting of non-residential and multi-family residential buildings and structures must receive Community Appearance Board (CAB) approval prior to commencement
  • Reviews tree removal permit applications
  • Processes all temporary use permits
  • Conducts special studies

To speak to the Planning & Zoning staff, call (954) 602-3264 Monday to Thursday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.

CAB - Community Appearance Board

Single-family homes are not subject to Community Appearance requirements. The Community Appearance Board Application is conveniently located at the bottom of the page and in the Document Center. There are three forms involved designated as small, medium and large scale. The scope of the work determines which form to submit.


CAB smallAccessory and minor structures such as fences, wall and sheds; the replacement of existing sign faces; redesign and replacement of existing signs; a change in exterior materials; repainting of a building using 2 colors or less utilizing colors found on the City's approved color palette. In order to be considered a small scale project, the project must not be subject to site plan approval, and, not otherwise a part of a medium or large scale project. These projects are approved at the staff level.


CAB mediumNew buildings (small structures) and the renovation/rehabilitation/expansion of existing structures. In order to be considered a medium scale project, the project must not be subject to full site plan approval, and not otherwise a part of a large scale project. Examples of Medium scale projects include, but are not limited to: the installation of or replacement of roofs; fenestration, arches & columns; telecommunication towers and antennas; and additions to existing buildings which do not increase the floor area by more than 10%. These projects are approved at the Board level.


CAB largeAny structure that requires site plan approval under Section 511 of the City's Land Development Code, and all other projects not otherwise defined as small or medium scale projects. These projects are approved at the City Commission level.

Community Appearance Board (CAB) Applications
  1. CAB Large Scale Review
  2. CAB Medium Scale Review
  3. CAB Small Scale Review
  1. Building Base Color Pallette
  2. Graphic Requirements for Presentations
Census, Demographic and Statistical Reports

The Data from the Census 2010 is available

The Census Bureau's Population Estimates Program produces and disseminates the official estimates of the population for the nation, states, counties, cities and towns and estimates of housing units for states and counties. Following links provide the most recent information on the City of Miramar.

Comprehensive Plan
Municipalities and counties are required to adopt a comprehensive plan. The Comprehensive plan is a document that contains two volumes. Volume 1 contains the Goals, Objectives and Policies (GOPs) and a future land use map to guide the future planning of the city. Volume 2 is a document that contains in-depth data and analysis.
The City of Miramar lies within Broward County which is a charter county. This means that municipalities within Broward County are required to comply with county regulations. Broward County has land use authority over the municipalities within its boundaries which is administered by the Broward County Planning Council.
For more information, visit their website
The State of Florida Economic Opportunity Division of Community Planning and Development is required to review municipal comprehensive plans. For more information, Click Here
DRC - Development Review Committee

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

The Development Review Committee (DRC) reviews all types of development applications except for Community Appearance Board (CAB) and certain types of temporary use permits.

The DRC consists of representatives from various City Departments including Community Development, Parks and Recreation, Public Works, Utilities, Police, Fire and Engineering.



This animation will take you through the DRC Submission Chart step by step.
Press on YES or NO to get to the next steps.

  1. DEVELOPMENT REVIEW FEES (effective July 5th, 2007)


Impact Fees
What are Impact Fees?
Impact fees are charges levied against new construction to help generate revenue to build new streets, water lines, wastewater lines, and parks needed to accommodate new developments. In other words, impact fees are a one-time, up front charge, paid by new construction only. The fee is paid at the time of the building permit and is issued based on a pre-set formula. The revenue collected is used within that district to build new streets, water lines, wastewater lines and parks.
Why were impact fees created?

Impact fees assign the cost of new infrastructure from the general public to the new construction that creates the need, thereby reducing the necessity to raise utility rates and taxes

Effective be October 14, 2013 - IMPACT FEE SCHEDULE
*NOTE: All impact Fees are subject to an additional 3% administrative fee (Section 2-225.5 of City Code).

$217 per Dwelling Unit $0.31 per non-residential sq. ft.
$204 per Dwelling Unit $0.40 per non-residential sq. ft.
Recreation: (Applies to Dwelling Units only)
1 bedroom: $420 4 bedrooms: $1,512
2 bedroom: $857 5 bedroom: $1,874
3 bedroom: $1,180 6 bedroom: $2,233
Each additional bedroom over 6 bedrooms: $362
Community Parks Land Dedication Requirement:
(Applies to only, and to those dwelling Units not covered by a Park Agreement)
1 bedroom: $ 552.68 4 bedrooms: $1,952.80
2 bedroom: $1,019.39 5 bedroom: $2,419.50
3 bedroom: $1,486.09 6 bedroom: $2,886.21
Each additional bedroom over 6 bedrooms: $ 466.71
Water and Sewer

Fees change annually in October

  1. Water & Sewer Impact Fees FY 13-14
For more information, go to Engineering
TOC - Transit Oriented Corridor

THE CITY OF MIRAMAR has adopted the Ordinance 12-10 rezoning 440 acres of property in Historic Miramar to Transit Oriented Corridor district. The rezoning encourages pedestrian-friendly, mixed-use development with access to public transit. It also regulates for high-quality infill development; and creates a predictable process for redevelopment. In order to preserve the existing residential character of neighborhoods surrounding the commercial corridors, the rezoning ultimately affected the property along State Road 7, Pembroke Road, Miramar Parkway, and County Line Road.

  1. TOC Fact Sheet
  2. TOC Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the hours of the Planning & Zoning Division?

We are open from Monday thru Thursday 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. excluding official holidays.

Please send general planning and zoning inquiries to

I would like to learn more about current development occurring around the City?  I would like to learn more about a specific property?
The Planning & Zoning Division has planners on staff that are familiar with the development pattern of the City, zoning ordinances and districts and the process for obtaining approvals.  You may make an appointment to speak with a planner.  If you have questions about a particular property, it is helpful if you know the exact location, legal description, or have a copy of a property survey.
Do I need a permit to paint my house?  Do I need a permit to paint my building?

You do not need a permit or approval from the City to paint the exterior of a single-family home or a duplex; however, most neighborhoods and homeowner’s associations normally have color preferences and/or an approval process.   The City has an adopted color palette that can be used as a guide in such cases.

  1. Building Base Color Pallette

Existing multi-family (apartments, condominiums, townhomes) residential communities and non-residential (commercial, industrial, municipal, civic, and community facility) properties are required to obtain a permit (i.e., approval) from the Planning & Zoning Division thru applying for Community Appearance Board (CAB) approval for the proposed colors.  The permit is in the form of a letter approving the colors.  You need not inquire or attempt to apply for such approval with the Building Division.

You may download an application (Small-scale CAB) from our online Document Center.  We will accept these applications on Mondays and Tuesdays between 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. every week (other than official holidays).  You do not need an appointment, although you are welcome to make one.

Why don't the color numbers in the city palette match the colors of my fan deck?
To get the matching colors, you must look at the Classic Color Fan Deck by Benjamin Moore . All other color decks will not match with the city palette.
How do I obtain a permit for a sign?

All permanent signs (e.g. signs identifying a business or community or place of worship) need to comply with the sign ordinance requirements as well as obtain design approval from the CAB.  Temporary signs such as Real Estate, banners, windows, contractor, and courtesy (public hearing notice) signs do not need a building permit or CAB approval as long as they conform to the Sign Ordinance regulations.  Temporary signs such as development (e.g., “Coming Soon”) signs need only a building permit (wind-load calculations) and conformance with zoning regulations.

For signs that do require CAB approval, business owners or their sign contractors must file a Small-Scale CAB application, prior to submitting for a sign permit.  You may download an application from our online Document Center.  We will accept these applications on Mondays and Tuesdays between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. of every week (other than official holidays).  You do not need an appointment, although you are welcome to make one.

In addition to zoning requirements, the proposed sign(s) must conform to established design standards (e.g. a master sign plan criteria) and fit well into the architectural character of the building.    A freestanding ground monument must be located on a survey and have surrounding landscaping that beautifies its design.  Once the CAB approves the sign, in the form of a letter, you may submit a permit application (building and electrical, if sign is illuminated) to the Building Division for review and approval.

I am a new business owner and I would like to have a sign banner?
Banners are allowed only for grand openings of new businesses or special events.  The maximum size permitted is 32 square feet and they are only permitted to be attached to the walls of a building.    They may not be attached to trees, poles, or fences.  Permits are not required provided that these regulations are followed.   
How can I find out what Zoning District a specific property has?
A Zoning District Map can be found at the Document Center. If you have a color printer you may download and print this map.
What types of businesses are allowed in my zoning district?
You can look up the zoning district standards in the Miramar Land Development Code. Zoning district regulations are found in Chapter 7.
Do I need a permit to remove a tree in my yard?

Yes, an application for a Tree Removal Permit may be downloaded from the Document Center.
More about Tree Care.

What do LDC, CAB, DRC, P&Z, MZP, TUP, ALF, and CU stand for?
  • LDC = Land Development Code
  • CAB = Community Appearance Board
  • DRC = Development Review Committee
  • P & Z / P & Z Board / PZB = Planning & Zoning Board
  • MZP = Master Zoning Plan: A supplemental zoning procedure for the review of large residential developments with 500 or more dwelling units in order to develop a cohesive residential community consistent with the City's Comprehensive Plan and Land Development Code (LDC) as well as Development of Regional Impact (DRI) standards for the property.
  • TUP = Temporary Use Permit: Permits granted to uses that are required in the construction phase of development or are uniquely seasonal or temporary in nature, such as sales offices for residential projects, carnivals, and Christmas tree sales.
  • ALF = Assisted Living Facility: Any housing facility that is properly licensed by the State of Florida to provide care for un-related elderly individuals.  
  • CU = Conditional Use: Uses which may be allowed under certain circumstances in a particular zoning district after review and approval by the Planning and Zoning Board and the City Commission.
Facebook Twitter Instagram

© The City of Miramar Town Center - 2300 Civic Center Place - Miramar Florida 33025. (954) 602-HELP